Spring officially begins this weekend which means that flowers, delicious BBQs, and beach days are on the way! It also means that many of us have begun the annual tradition of spring cleaning in our homes. Today we’re sharing 20 items that are often overlooked when you make your cleaning list.
1. Remote Control: Remotes are often the dirtiest item in a hotel room and the same holds true for our homes. You should clean this, and game controllers, once a month with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip for those hard to reach spots.
2. Stove Knobs: Cleaning stove knobs can be a pain, but it is an important part of keeping your kitchen free of germs we spread from handling food. For a quick clean simply pull off the knobs and soak them in a bowl of white vinegar.
3. Dishwasher: Sometimes we forget to clean the things that clean. Add cleaning this appliance at least once a month to your to do list. Here are some tips to making your dishwasher sparkle.
4. Light Switches: There’s an important rule to remember when cleaning your house - if your hands touch it, it needs to be cleaned! So how often should you actually clean switches? The answer is weekly! Learn the best way to clean them here.
5. Door Knobs: We are all guilty of forgetting this one…especially the doorknobs on the exterior of your home! Cleaning professionals recommend wiping down doorknobs with a household cleaner or disinfecting wipe about once a week. It’s a great way to help reduce the spread of cold germs.
6. Garbage Cans: Sure you take the trash out when the bag is full but when was the last time you actually scrubbed the inside of the can? And how about the can(s) outside?
7. Comforter: You may change your sheets every week (or every other week) but when was the last time you cleaned your comforter? The experts at Good Housekeeping suggest cleaning it once a season.
8. Pillows: Dust mites, pet hair and and dead skin. Gross, right? Yes, we agree. But sadly all of these things might be living in and on your pillow. Interior design expert Robin Wilson recommends washing your pillow cover every three weeks in the washing machine. Then, wash the pillow itself every three months. (Huffington Post)
9. Keurig/Coffee Maker: Is your morning cup of Joe contaminated? We hope not. To be sure experts recommend that a Keurig be cleaned (and descaled) every 3-6 months. Wondering how to clean it? Here's some tips.
10. Dish Sponge: Did you know that a kitchen sponge is actually 200,000 times DIRTIER than a toilet seat? (dailymail.co.uk) Learn how to clean your sponge here. Also, if your sponge is over a month old then you should toss it and replaced with a new one.
11. Drying Rack: Anything that has standing water in it tends to be…well…stinky. Be sure you scrub down that drying rack every few days to avoid a slimy mess.
12. Top of the Fan: Cleaning a ceiling fan can be a dirty and dusty job if you let it go too long. Real Simple suggests cleaning fans every other month if you use the fan year round. Here are some helpful tips for getting it clean.
13. Pet Toys: If your house is anything like ours then there are more toys than your little fur baby could possibly ever need. It is important to clean their toys regularly as they often end up in their mouths. Here are some great tips on how to keep them clean.
14. Dryer Vent: This is a super important one not only to keep your home clean but also safe! “The U.S. Fire Administration (part of FEMA) cites that there are 2900 home clothes dryer fires every year resulting in an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. And the leading cause: failure to clean them.” (cushmaninsure.com)
15. Washing Machine: Washing machines are pretty clean since you use often use hot water to clean your clothes, but they still need attention about once a month. To clean your washer just run an empty load with hot water and bleach, or follow these tips.
16. Toothbrush Holder: According to NSF International, this is one of the germiest items in a home. Pretty gross considering it holds the item you clean you mouth with.
17. Sofa: According to thesweethome.com you should be cleaning your sofa with a vacuum every 2 weeks and it should get a deep clean once a year. Hey, the silver-lining is you may find some spare change while you are flipping those couch cushions over!
18. Toilet Handle: Think outside of the bowl. Use a disinfectant wipe and make sure to close the lid to avoid airborne germs!
19. Ice Trays: Does your ice taste funny? There is a chance that may be from the ice tray being dirty and not actually your water. Here is a quick way to clean it.
20. Make Up Brushes: Brushing bacteria onto your face may not be your first thought you have as you apply powder, blush or eye shadow to your face but if you aren’t cleaning them regularly it is exactly what you are doing. Make sure to clean all of your brushes once a month.
Is there an item you think should be added to our list? Let us know! Happy spring and happy cleaning!
Coldwell Banker Lifestyles connects real estate buyers and sellers in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Western Maine. Find an agent today: Click Here.